As per the New York City (NYC) Department of Buildings (DOB), there have been 37 fatalities and 1,029 injuries resulting from worker falls since 2015. NYC DOB urges workers to be aware of your surroundings, especially around edges, shafts, and floor openings.
1. Get Safety Training – Obtain 40 hours of Site Safety Training that includes 8 hours of Fall Protection training. Site Safety Training is required on construction projects with a Site Safety Manager, Site Safety Coordinator, or Construction Superintendent.
2. Working at heights six feet and above require Fall Protection – If you are working above a six foot drop, your employer must provide fall protection.
3. Slips and Trips – Be on the lookout for slipping and tripping hazards.
4. Safety Harnesses – A safety harness must be properly connected to a lifeline and anchor point.
5. Floor and Shaft Openings – Floor and shaft openings must have fall protection, such as guardrails or hole coverings.
6. Guardrails – Guardrails must comply with OSHA standards.
7. Hole Coverings – Be sure hole coverings are larger than the hole itself, able to support twice the weight of the worker, material, or equipment above, secured to prevent displacement, and marked to provide warning of the hazard.
8. Leading Edges – Unprotected sides and edges of any walking surface, be it a floor or roof, are referred to as leading edges and must have fall protection such as guardrails or safety netting.
City Safety is a national construction safety firm. We are leaders in Safety Management, Training, and Programs. We are confident that we can help any company lower their risk for injuries.
212.683.7200 | email@example.com